Friday, August 23, 2013

180- Day Four- Visual Graph Paper Method for Dividing Fractions
In 7.RP.a.1, students need to be able to calculate unit rate, including rates that have complex fractions.  I tried a method for dividing fractions using graph paper that I found at Fawn Nyugen's site.  Definitely great for my visual learners.  Through the process I found students really just had trouble understanding whether the quotient should be a number greater than 1 or a number less than one, so that became our focus.  By drawing out the fractions using the same wholes, they could see which was larger.  I kept coming back to...is this similar to a "10/2" problem, which is more than 1, or a "2/10" problem, which is less than one.  I did really like the method though!

Some of my not so very visual students did really struggle with it.  Common misconceptions:  When students created the rectangles to represent the fractions some of them really struggled to draw an accurate representation of the fraction.  For example, if they chose a 4x5 rectangle because they were trying to model 4ths and 5ths, when they tried to shade 3/4 they would shade 3 sets of 4 squares rather than 3 rows out of the  4 rows in their rectangle.


This links to the activity sheet I used with my students.  The end of the document has pictures from Fawn's website!

No comments:

Post a Comment