Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A simple problem...rich discussion

I love that sometimes a good lesson can come from something simple.  Today I handed out copies of this graph (which is from the Annenberg Insights into Algebra site).  I asked students to tell me everything they could possibly figure out about the information on the graph.  Great discussion about slope and using different scales on the graph...which company is the better deal...what does the point of intersection represent in the problem...What are the equations of the line, and what do the slope and y-intercept represent in this context?

And the best part...all of this was STUDENT GENERATED!  Yeah! 

This afternoon I got to head to a nearby county to present at their "Math Gathering"...so nice to see so many teachers interested in professional development- loved being able to share a few ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment